A man too busy to take care of his health is like a mechanic too busy to take care of his tools. -Spanish Proverb
As we enter the Fall season and the weather cools down a bit (especially for those of us up north), it becomes more difficult to take care of our bodies. Cold-weather laziness settles in. This Spanish proverb, though, is an important reminder. As athletes, our tools are our bodies! If we're too busy to take care of our bodies, our athletic skills are going to be softer than their potential. In order to reach our athletic peaks it is vital to maintain healthy minds and bodies. Physical and mental wellness are at the very root of what it takes to achieve at an elite level on any stage - on sports or in other aspects of society. So, what do we need to be conscious of to live well? We believe it is a combination of: rest/sleep, nutrition, mindfulness, and the ability to manage stress. Here are some questions to consider for each pillar.
- Are you sleeping sound at night?
- Are you taking a power-nap during the day to recharge?
- Are you eating a balanced diet?
- Are you eating multiple meals throughout the day in order to fuel your body right?
- Are you practicing a mindfulness activity such as yoga or meditation?
- Are you balancing all of your action (e.g., practice or competition) with down time (e.g. reflective reading)
- What are you most stressed about?
- Do you have a community of people who challenge and support you to work through your stressors?
*(Thanks to tilt's Director of Community Engagement Cameron Dwyer for drafting this blog!)
We envision a world